[fedora-virt] Sound not working on vm clients

David Highley dhighley at highley-recommended.com
Tue Jun 19 03:05:49 UTC 2012

"Cole Robinson wrote:"

> On 06/17/2012 06:23 PM, David Highley wrote:

> >> On F16, using SPICE is the only good way to get sound, so do your testing with
> >> that. Please provide the following info
> >>
> >> - How are you connecting to the guest console?
> >> - sudo virsh dumpxml $vmname
> >> - sudo cat /var/log/libvirt/qemu/$vmname.log
> >
> > I did switch to using SPICE and both the host and quest show the same
> > audio configuration. Attached the two requested files.
> >

> Your qemu log file only shows guest config when the VM was configured with
> VNC. Please try running with spice, and see if that works. If not, attach the
> log file after running with spice enabled.

Got it working after a pointer about QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=none. Lots of
postings without solutions. Finally found we could define
QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=pa in /etc/sysconfig/libvirtd. Sound is now working.

There are choices for video with no information about picking one over
any other. We left it default to cirrus. It might make a difference on
the 3D graphics issue, but we have not found any information about
making choices here. Thanks for the help.