[fedora-virt] Sound not working on vm clients

David Highley dhighley at highley-recommended.com
Tue Jun 19 16:28:40 UTC 2012

"Cole Robinson wrote:"

> On 06/18/2012 11:05 PM, David Highley wrote:

> >> Your qemu log file only shows guest config when the VM was configured with
> >> VNC. Please try running with spice, and see if that works. If not, attach the
> >> log file after running with spice enabled.
> >
> > Got it working after a pointer about QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=none. Lots of
> > postings without solutions. Finally found we could define
> > QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=pa in /etc/sysconfig/libvirtd. Sound is now working.
> >

> Hmm, did you have QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=none set in /etc/sysconfig/libvirtd before
> that change? If so, does just commenting out everything in that file make
> things work? If using Spice, libvirt should be passing QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=spice
> automatically, which sends the audio stream through the spice connection, so
> sound is played by the client (virt-manager, spicec, virt-viewer). This is the
> ideal solution, since it handles permissions correctly, and allows hearing
> local sound from VMs on remote machines.

Nothing was set in the /etc/sysconfig/libvirtd file. Thanks for the
information about QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=spice. Still looking for better
documentation about all this. The host is Fedora 16 so some of the
default behavior maybe changing in Fedora 17 and beyond.

> > There are choices for video with no information about picking one over
> > any other. We left it default to cirrus. It might make a difference on
> > the 3D graphics issue, but we have not found any information about
> > making choices here. Thanks for the help.
> >

> The default in Fedora should be QXL + Spice, but it was busted for a while in
> virt-manager.

In Fedora 16 it defaults to VNC mode. If you change an existing guest to
use spice it does not do anything with the video setting. Just upgraded
a box to Fedora 17 so we will check and see defaults and behavior is
with the new host.