[fedora-virt] Cannot set MTU on bridge

Ian Pilcher arequipeno at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 22:22:45 UTC 2012

I am trying to create a bridge for use as an iSCSI storage network.  The
iSCSI target will run on the host (Fedora 17) and the initiators will
all run on KVM VMs.  Thus, no physical interface will be added to the
bridge.

For optimum performance, I want to use jumbo frames on the storage
network, so I've created ifcfg-stor0 as follows:

    IPADDR=192.168.0.254
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    DEVICE=stor0
    ONBOOT=yes
    TYPE=Bridge
    IPV6INIT=no
    DELAY=0
    STP=off
    NM_CONTROLLED=no
    MTU=9000

When starting the interface with ifup, I get "RTNETLINK answers:
Invalid argument", and the MTU is set to 1500.

Trying to set the MTU with ifconfig gives me "SIOCSIFMTU: Invalid
argument".

The workaround I've found so far is to attach a dummy device with the
desired MTU to the bridge:

    DEVICE=dummy0
    ONBOOT=yes
    MTU=9000
    IPV6INIT=no
    BRIDGE=stor0
    NM_CONTROLLED=no

This works, and it's even possible to remove the dummy device after the
MTU is set.

The questions is how can I do this without this awful hack?

TIA!