[fedora-virt] sparc?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Feb 5 10:01:16 UTC 2013

On Sun, Feb 03, 2013 at 02:28:16PM -0500, Tom Horsley wrote:
> I see qemu-system-sparc installed in fedora 18, so I'm now
> curious:
>
> If I DDed the disk from an old sun workstation we have
> could I go into virt-manager and create a new virtual
> machine pointing at that disk image and saying it is
> a sparc architecture?
>
> Or is it still more complicated than that to get
> anything other than x86 architectures to run? (Yes,
> I know it would be slow even if it did work :-).

You may as well try it, but I think you'd be extraordinarily fortunate
if it actually worked.

As Cole said, it's unlikely that libvirt will be able to drive
qemu-system-sparc correctly so your best bet would be to use the
direct command line, ie:

  qemu-system-sparc -M <something> -m <something> -hda /path/to/disk.img

If this doesn't work (and as I said I'd be surprised if it did) you
will need to contact the qemu upstream community to work out what's
going wrong.

Rich.