[fedora-virt] virtio-scsi with libvirt

Ian Pilcher arequipeno at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 20:30:02 UTC 2013

On 01/05/2013 02:13 PM, Andrew Cathrow wrote:
> something like ...
>
> Add the controller
> <controller type='scsi' index='0' model='virtio-scsi'>
>  <alias name='scsi0'/>
> </controller>
>

> And then the the disk ...
>
>     <disk type='block' device='disk'>
>       <driver name='qemu' type='raw'/>
>       <source dev='/dev/sdg'/>
>       <target dev='sda' bus='scsi'/>
>       <alias name='scsi0-0-0-0'/>
>     </disk>

Yup.  I finally stumbled on section 12.3.3 of the RHEL Virtualization
Administration Guide, which got me going:

https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Virtualization_Administration_Guide/sect-Managing_storage_controllers_in_a_guest.html

Note that I didn't have to specify the alias for the controller, I just
added "<controller type='scsi' model='virtio-scsi' index='0'/>", and
libvirt did the rest.  I haven't tested yet, but it looks like it will
be possible to use virt-manager to add SCSI disks once the controller
has been added.

Now to see if my virtual RHEV hypervisors can use these as "Fibre
Channel" storage.