[fedora-virt] Specify disk-image format on Virt-Manager

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Fri Sep 27 14:12:01 UTC 2013

On 09/27/2013 09:58 AM, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are there plans to enhance virt-manager so that it allows you to specify
> the disk format during the VM-creation wizard?   I create a lot VMs with
> virt-install (where I can specify it) but I also use virt-manger once in
> a while and would be great if we could specify it there (without first
> creating the disk image beforehand).
>
> I saw an enhancement-request but it was closed as it was for RHEL5.

What disk image format do you want? If qcow2, there's an option to turn it on
globally in Preferences, and we will likely make it the default soon enough.
Anything else (besides raw) we wouldn't want to advertise in the 'create'
wizard since its supportability is suspect. And with a few extra clicks you
can go Browse->Create Volume and have all the bells and whistles.

So for those reasons I don't want to promote another piece of UI in the wizard
that could potentially cause confusion for inexperienced users.

- Cole