[fedora-virt] Proper way to migrate (F19 to F20)

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Mon Jan 6 15:56:04 UTC 2014

On 12/31/2013 12:13 PM, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have a F19 that I'm wiping out in order to perform a clean intall of
> F20.  Is it ok to simply tar /etc/libvirt and /var/lib/libvirt/ and
> untar them on the new installation?  Or is it better to grab the VM
> definition files & their disks and import them with vish on the new setup?
>
> The first option seems very straightforward but don't know if there are
> new config files or changes in syntax that I may be overriding by
> extracting the previous version.

Your suggestion should work, but if something goes wrong libvirt might not
give the best error output, or silently ignore XML configs. To get nice error
reporting you would want to 'virsh define' the XML rather than drop it in
/etc/libvirt, but that's pretty tedious to do for all domains, networks,
autostart, etc.

- Cole