[fedora-virt] Network issue between host server and libvirt client

David Highley dhighley at highley-recommended.com
Thu Jan 23 04:18:24 UTC 2014

"Cole Robinson wrote:"

> On 01/21/2014 11:29 PM, David Highley wrote:
> > I was some what confused as the libvirt client was able to talk on the
> > internet but then seemed not to be able to talk to a host on the local
> > net. After more investigation it seems it can talk to all hosts except
> > the one it is being hosted on. I'm sure it is something simple, but I
> > have very little experience with libvirt. Here is the client
> > configuration:
> >

> >     <interface type='direct'>
> >       <mac address='52:54:00:1b:4b:94'/>
> >       <source dev='p57p1' mode='bridge'/>
> >       <target dev='macvtap0'/>
> >       <model type='rtl8139'/>
> >       <alias name='net0'/>
> >       <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x0'/>
> >     </interface>
>
> What you describe is a side effect of type='direct'/macvtap, you need a
> special type of host switch for the VM to talk to the host AIUI.
>
> http://virt.kernelnewbies.org/MacVTap
>
> Also, that nic should probably be using model type='virtio'

OK, thank you for that information which explained clearly what I did
not know. So I changed the model type to virtio and I changed the source
dev to p57p2 a second nic on the hosting server and now I'm able to
communicate with all systems on the local network.

Now to get on with the next adventure configuring a bind 10 server.