[fedora-virt] Curent status of virt-manager Open vSwitch support

Ian Pilcher arequipeno at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 13:27:18 UTC 2014

On 09/15/2014 09:21 AM, Cole Robinson wrote:
> There's no explicit openvswitch support in virt-manager or virt-install. That
> said I'm not too familiar with the openvswitch support in libvirt: if there's
> a way to use openvswitch using XML config options that predate openvswitch
> than you can probably make it work with virt-manager

Open vSwitch has worked with libvirt for a long time:

    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:91:b0:3f'/>
      <source bridge='ovs0'/>
      <vlan>
        <tag id='250'/>
      </vlan>
      <virtualport type='openvswitch'>
        <parameters interfaceid='25f2a25d-cfed-58f8-be38-2a3d3f057233'/>
      </virtualport>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x03'
function='0x0'/>
    </interface>

And VMs attached to Open vSwitch ports work just fine in virt-manager.
The challenge is creating such VMs.  The process I use is:

1) Create new VM in virt-manager ...

   - Select "Customize configuration before install"

   - In "Advanced options," change the network type to "Specify shared
     device name," and set the "Bridge name" to ovs0

   - Click "Finish"

2) In the customization dialog, remove the NIC

3) Click "Begin Installation"

4) Complete installation without a NIC or force-off the VM (if a NIC is
   needed during installation)

5) Shut down the VM

6) "virsh edit ..." to add the NIC to the VM

7) Restart the VM, complete the installation (if needed), configure the
   NIC, etc.

All in all, it's a pretty ugly process.