[fedora-virt] Prevent virt-manager from chowning ISOs

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Sep 30 13:38:34 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 03:56:12PM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
> - Networking: historically the only real networking mode available with
> qemu:///session is usermode networking, which has limited functionality
> compared to what some users will expect by default. See
> http://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Networking#User_Networking_.28SLIRP.29

Sorry, just catching up on this list.

"historically" .. meaning there is something better than SLIRP
available for non-root users now?

> The chown'ing and selinux labeling of any storage attached to a VM
> is a libvirt security feature that's not virt-manager's explicit
> doing. It has historically been quite a pain WRT install media as
> you've likely discovered.  I've had a long standing todo item to
> fully investigate the issues that people hit and try and come up
> with a solution, whether it's libvirt fixes, virt-manager fixes, or
> just better error messages. But I haven't gotten around to it yet.

The central pain point for me is around NFS.  Put a disk image on NFS,
and libguestfs breaks (because of labelling).  You have to use 'export
LIBGUESTFS_BACKEND=direct' to work around it.

Rich.