[fedora-virt] Building a new cluster of VM hosts

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Wed Apr 1 18:18:55 UTC 2015

On 04/01/2015 01:00 PM, Scott Baker wrote:
> We're in the process of building a new VM cluster that look similar to this:
>
> -----     -----
> |VM1|     |VM2|
> -----     -----
>     \ NFS /
>    ---------
>    |Backend|
>    ---------
>
> Are there any official recommendations on:
>
> 1) NFS export/mount options
> 2) File system choice
> 3) VM image format (qcow vs raw)
> 4) How to backup

If there's any specific document covering that usecase, I don't know about it.
Sorry.

Personally I haven't heard about any specific NFS mount options or FS
choice/options that are catered expressly to virt. Well, besides 'don't use
btrfs' :)

Use qcow2 if you care about any of the specific qcow2 features like internal
snapshots or overlay files. Otherwise use raw to maximize performance.

For backup, you can use live disk snapshots to get manual live backup:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Virt_Live_Snapshots

But if you don't want to worry about all these details, let a higher level
tool handle it for you and check out ovirt. Maybe it's overkill for your
needs, but they have all this stuff figured out already.

- Cole