[fedora-virt] QXL and DirectX

Frederick N. Brier fnbrier at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 16:09:30 UTC 2015

On 01/08/2015 04:45 PM, Frederick N. Brier wrote:
> I was hoping I'd be able to report that Rocksmith 2014 works great.
> Unfortunately, although it installed without a problem, I am now
> tracking down why it is generating a "Unable to initialize graphics
> system" dialog <sigh>.  So much for being an uber-geek.
> Fred
Turns out while QXL's supports DirectX, it implements very few DirectX
capabilities including Shader Model 3.0
<http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/802854-Rocksmith-2014-PC-Configuration-and-FAQ-Forums>,
which is apparently required by Rocksmith 2014 <sigh>.  That is probably
the reason for the above message. Not sure when the WDDM driver
<http://www.spice-space.org/page/WDDM> will be out, or if it will
support just Shader Model 2.0 or 3.0.  The Virgil 3D project
<http://lwn.net/Articles/611212/> appears a long way
<http://virgil3d.github.io/> off and only a research project at this
point, let alone providing a Windows driver.  Ah well, the USB
redirection feature is still cool.  And the clipboard now works.

Fred