boot.fedoraproject.org

Patrick C. F. Ernzer pcfe at redhat.com
Wed Feb 3 15:21:36 UTC 2010

Hi,

On 03/02/10 03:45, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> I think maybe we should decide where to put it based on which users we
> think would make use of it.

I believe we should not be shy and flaunt it as 'Fedora internet based
install' which describes b.?.o quite well.

> So tell me a bit about the kind of folks who would use boot.fpo? Are
> these mostly more technical users (I'm guessing?) Why would they choose
> to use boot.fpo rather than use a liveCD or DVD? What kinds of scenarios
> are they using it in?

My experience when giving my users an internal server doing this was (in
chronological order)
0) failure to understand (What's Patrick on about now)
1) mild interest after first demo
2) after using it themselves, "how could I live without this beofre"

Some things I used in convincing users to give it a try themselves
- why have the hassle of downloading different boot media (RHEL 4 AS,
RHEL5 Server, F12, rawhide, ... and all these for multiple architectures)
- why would you want to download a new boot image every few months?
- ability to access kickstarts from the boot.example.com server (i.e. a
tester just needs to boot it and choose the release he was asked to test)

RU

PCFE
--
I am Dirty Harry of Borg.