Deprecated pages on the wiki

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 20:56:24 UTC 2010

On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 06:39:09PM +0100, Thomas Canniot wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> When we used MoinMoin wiki, 3 years ago,the French Translation Team was
> strong enough to handle the translation of the wiki pages of the Fedora
> websites. When we moved to MediaWiki, the pages were kept and ported...
> and are still available today [1].
>
> However, the French translation team cannot endorse this kind of effort
> today. The pages are then left untouched and deprecated since some
> years now. Their contents are obsolete and convey wrong information
> about how to get involved into the Fedora Project and other general
> information about it.
>
> Other reasons makes me feel these pages should be deleted :
> - a translation process is not acheived in MediaWiki the way is was
>   acheived with MoinMoin
> - the FR translation team is not able to handle such a task
> - the page are referenced in google, and mislead our future
>   contributors.
>
> I am aware that I have a part of responsability in this problem today
> and I deeply apologize for not having been able to maintain such a
> task. I'm also aware that this failure will make someone loose time
> deleting the pages... unless I'm given the right to delete pages for
> some hours to achieve the task.
>
> How should we process then ?

Hi Thomas,

You can move any such page into the Archive using the 'move' tab,
renaming it with the word "Archive:" in front of the page name.  So
for instance "My_page" would become "Archive:My_page".  You may also
add the text '{{old}}' to the top of each page that needs to be
deprecated.  This will place them in a category for eventual deletion.

If you're interested in helping with this type of deletion
maintenance, you can sign up on the wiki maintainers mailing list for
assistance: