not all mirrors are created equal - 2 suggestions

Nada O'Neal nco2104 at columbia.edu
Wed Jun 16 17:48:39 UTC 2010

Hi webmaster,

I'm physically located at Columbia University, so when I tried to
download a Fedora 13 install DVD iso from either of these two pages:
	http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-options#architecture
	http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-all

I went straight to the Columbia mirror - which, by the way, is pretty
awesome. But, Columbia does not have the DVD iso files, either for
32-bit or 64-bit:
	http://mirror.cc.columbia.edu/pub/linux/fedora/releases/13/Fedora/x86_64/iso/
	http://mirror.cc.columbia.edu/pub/linux/fedora/releases/13/Fedora/i386/iso/

... I'm going to try to complain to the right people here about that.
(ha ha!) But, I wanted to suggest for your website that:

(a) it might be possible, in the magic you're using to connect people to
the closest mirror, to also double-check that that mirror has the file
available, and if not, connect the person to the next-closest; and

(b) it might also be possible to make it a little more intuitive to know
where to go if the mirror is broken.

These are whiny because in real time, it took me maybe all of two
minutes to find the "all download methods" in the lower right corner,
then find the "let me look around..." "see all mirrors" links at the
bottom of that page, but of course two minutes of real time is seven
million years of subjective web navigation time. Some kind of "mirror
broken?" direct link might work.

Thanks.

- Nada O'Neal