Question about FAS nuckname.

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 13:48:20 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 08:53:15PM +0200, Kévin Raymond wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 7:36 PM, Mailga <mailga at fedoraonline.it> wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > an italian user would like to subscribe to a FAS account using his nickname (caterpillar).
> >
> > Doing that, the website reported that his nickname was already in use, but there isn't ant user with this nicknane[1].
> >
> > He knows that I'm an Ambassador, so he asked me if there is a way for him to reserve this nick.
> >
> > I don't know if there is a reason, or any other cause, for blocking this nick (blacklist, spam etc.),  but I thought that was better ask to this ML.
> >
> > What do you think about?
> >
> > [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Caterpillar
>
> There is already a contributor under this nickname:
> He has signed the CLA and the FPCA.
> Unapproved Groups: ambassadors
> Creation: 2012-06-25
> You sure it's not him, caterpillar…@gmail check with zodbot if  you
> want its email.

He came and talked to us (Fedora Infrastructure admins) today on IRC.   We
reviewed the older account and found that it had been opened a long time ago
but never signed up to any groups (even the CLA) so we renamed that old
account so the present contributor could sign up with the new name.

Note that this is not something we can do in every case. Sometimes the need
to keep records for legal or if the old user had things tied to his username
or userid (files on fedorapeople, package ownership, etc).  In this instance,
the old account had not been used for anything so it was possible for us to
do this.  We're also not set up to do this en-masse so don't everyone come
asking for us to do it ;-)

-Toshio