pkgdb opensearch

Ken Dreyer ktdreyer at ktdreyer.com
Fri Mar 16 15:23:19 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 8:08 AM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
> Can you give an example of a url it gives you that hits a 500 ?

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for responding. Today pkgdb isn't giving a 500 error, oddly enough.

I fired up the HttpFox extension, and here's what is being loaded when
I enter the word "test" in the search bar.

(long CSRF string snipped)
GET	https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/list/?_csrf_token=...?searchwords=*test*

The fact that there are two separate question marks in this URL looks
odd to me. The searchwords parameter should probably be prepended with
an ampersand to make this a valid URL. I looked at the OpenSearch
definition in my Firefox profile:

~/.mozilla/firefox/<snip>.default/searchplugins/fedora-pkgdb-packages.xml

To fix this, I just stripped out the csrf token parameter altogether.
The following now works for me:

<os:Url type="text/html" method="GET"
template="https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/list/?">

Maybe you would be able to do a similar fix on the Fedora web servers,
to fix the definition there?

I'm a CSRF newbie, but it strikes me as odd that a static csrf token
string would be embedded into the OpenSearch definition itself:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/opensearch/pkgdb_packages.xml .
Not only does it break the searches, but it seems like that defeats
the point of having hard-to-guess CSRF tokens.