dividing up the wiki?

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Aug 21 16:36:10 UTC 2013

On 08/21/2013 09:20 AM, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:

> Is it just related to our instance (because of bloat we have) or it's
> just impossible to have working search at all? I can see some wikis
> that are not as bad as our is but usually it's fail to be honest...

AIUI, MediaWiki search is a bit touchy where it comes to some things,
such as page names. This is why [[Natural page naming]] is preferred
over [[Naming/pages/with/fake/nesting]].

In the end, our UX friends remind us that search should be a last resort
if the information architecture fails. What challenges a wiki is the
information architecture - getting pages in categories, putting
categories as subs to other categories, having only a handful of
master/top-level categories, and having pages that are obvious starting
spots for certain types of content.

Take team-draft-work for example - it's hard to get it out of the stream
of search results, but good categorization and maybe a "team-related
material that probably isn't what you are looking for" header blocks
might help. That is, put out a template for team drafts so that it makes
it clear from the top of the page that it's a team draft or team-related
documentation that isn't necessarily there to help users.