dividing up the wiki?

Sijis Aviles sijis at fedoraproject.org
Thu Aug 22 13:52:26 UTC 2013

> Wiki is now best tool we have - that's all. For Change description, it's
> great,
> everything is available in one place etc.

I  agree with this statement but it doesn't mean we shouldn't explore
better or alternatives. (I'm sure the infra team doesn't want/need another
app and infrastructure to support.)

> I wonder if there's a way we can make the distinction more obvious, and
steer people appropriately

I do think navigating the wiki is a bit of a mess, so I typically resort to
using a search engine to help me find that information.

I'm thinking to help visitor understand what kind of page they are
visiting, maybe the theme, maybe just background colors, change for that.
Similarly, if you look at fp.o, the different sections of the site have a
different color (bugs = purple, features = orange, etc.). If we
tagged/organized the wiki and broke it down in the 3 mentioned target
audiences (docs, communication and ideas), maybe we change the background
to a different color. Now to note that a page is an archive or older page,
maybe we use a separate color for that all together.

The other thought is to better organize the wiki navigation (somehow) to
help naturally steer folks in the right direction, instead of having to
resort to a search engine.

On wiki gardening, if there is a way to get a list of the oldest wiki pages
that havent been modified and aren't already in Archive, that could be a
good way to move older pages in an archived section.

Random thoughts on this:
- could we use some sort of git/wiki markup type tool instead of mediawiki.
I'm thinking similar to how you can create a wiki on github and its
essentially a git repo with markup around the pages.
- maybe the wiki just feels older and need a little paint. A lot of sites
around the fp.o namespace have been refreshed but the wiki has not. This
could be an opportunity to move and organize the sections on the navigation
too.

Sijis