dividing up the wiki?

Chris Roberts croberts at cintrixhosting.com
Thu Aug 22 15:09:41 UTC 2013

Sijjis wrote:

I wonder if there's a way we can make the distinction more obvious, and

 steer people appropriately.

I'm thinking to help visitor understand what kind of page they are visiting, maybe the theme, maybe just background colors, change for that. Similarly, if you look at fp.o, the different sections of the site have a different color (bugs = purple, features = orange, etc.). If we tagged/organized the wiki and broke it down in the 3 mentioned target audiences (docs, communication and ideas), maybe we change the background to a different color. Now to note that a page is an archive or older page, maybe we use a separate color for that all together.

The other thought is to better organize the wiki navigation (somehow) to help naturally steer folks in the right direction, instead of having to resort to a search engine.

- I have been working on taking old and outdated information for the teams and putting them into an Archived-title relating to that info. That way a user is presented with the most up to date info on wiki page. If they want to see previous information the link to the archived info is available for them.

- I am not an admin on the wiki page, so I can not see templates. but I have seen a few companies wiki's that I have done work for in my day job have different colors. This could be something that would be helpful.

- This is a result of pages not being categorized correctly or not even in a category. As I have been updating the wiki I have been putting pages in the correct category or marking which ones do not have a category.