New download pages, brainstorming

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Fri Aug 30 01:11:55 UTC 2013

On 08/29/2013 05:59 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> It's nice to have a brochure site (and I think the one we have is really
> nice!), but I'd love to have the main landing site for both contributors and
> users be more active

But users and contributors necessarily have different goals and thus
different tasks, so I'm not sure how/why one site should (or could)
serve both?

> -- something more like the Fedora Magazine site, with
> frequently-updated curated content,
> and with related sites depending on type
> of interaction.

The point behind the current www.fpo site was that the content would be
more frequently updated and curated, but the problem is that nobody
stepped up to actually do that work (despite a couple of attempts). Thus
we have pretty much all of the same exact tutorials and interviews that
I wrote for the initial G.A. in - 2009 I think? Just because the content
is stale now, doesn't mean if we redid it that it wouldn't get stale in
another 3-4 years. There is a problem with the content, sure, but it's
not the design, and I'm wary of building another one for more content to
grow stale in.

> I think these are
>
>   - learn more -> brochure site, including who we are and how to get involved
>   - get fedora -> download or launch the fedora products
>   - user docs & help -> docs.fedora, user-focused wiki* , ask fedora

We have this now....

who we are? http://fedoraproject.org/en/about-fedora
how to get involved? http://fedoraproject.org/en/join-fedora
download the products http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora
read docs http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-help
ask fedora - linked to here http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-help

Only missing a user-focused wiki (more on that later.)

>   - contributor tools -> all sorts of stuff. Usually here I'm looking for
>                    a specific task-based thing. I want to find packaging
>                    info, or file a ticket for some subproject or sig, or
>                    create a new change page. Right now I have a tree of
>                    bookmarks for this, which I think is probably a sign
>                    of something not right.

I think this is definitely a current weakness - but I don't think
stapling this onto www.fpo is the solution. I think there should be a
separate portal for contributors. Traditionally the wiki has been that
portal, but it's not serving that need as well as it used to.

>   * we currently don't have a user-focused wiki! We have some user-focused
>     things mixed in with the contributor-focused wiki, and it's confusing
>     and scary. I mean scary for me, let alone new users!

A wiki is a piece of technology. What do users need that wiki technology
would provide that we aren't currently providing? Let's start with the
problem, not the implementation :)

>> How much do we want to promote spins? Beyond KDE, are any of the spins
>> really widely used? How many are well-maintained? It doesn't look like
>> the download numbers are listed on the site anymore.
>
> I think this is changing with the new proposal. I'm not sure exactly what it
> will mean for non-default targets, but overall I think it will mean that
> their promotion will be more independent -- up to their individual SIGs /
> project teams.

That's pretty much how we operate now. You have a spin, you get a nice
page and listed on the directory - but it's up to you to promote it.

>> Same here, I will start thinking about this, and maybe we can go to the
>> board or fesco and ask for some guidance.
>
> Yes please! (Not so much just asking for guidance, but I'd love to talk more
> about all of this.)

cool, do you think it's more fesco or more board appropriate?

~m