Using a static site generator

shaiton at fedoraproject.org shaiton at fedoraproject.org
Fri Mar 8 15:16:42 UTC 2013

Le jeudi 07 mars 2013 à 00:47:56 (-0500), Rahul Sundaram a écrit :
> Hi
>
> The last time I had to look at the process of modifying content in the
> Fedora website for fudcon.fp.o, it took us considerable time and felt
> rather complicated for what were rather simple needs.
>
> I have been running into a lot of FOSS sites that have been converting to
> using static site generators including kernel.org.  Has the website team
> considered this?

Yes.
But is your need for fudcon.fpo only? We have more and more code generated
but it's only for specific pages. Not the entirely website.

If so, this websites is not really up to date nor easily maintainable.
There has been work to move fudcon.fpo to use Drupal[1] but it's a died
project.
Robyduck helped to update it.

If you want to work for an easy way to generate the content, let's do it.
But i am not sure that we need an external tool for that. We already have
all the pages and we just need some python to generate the content IMHO.

But it's like for start.fpo. We don't know what should be fudcon.fpo now.
If someone is willing to lead the refresh effort, I am sure that we would
be able to have a new website that everyone would be able to share.
But first we would have to see with Robyn if FUDCONs still continue or if
something bigger is comming ;)

Thanks for your interrest.
Please open a ticket on our Trac to track your ideas, work.. needs.. :)

[1] https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-websites/ticket/102

--
Kévin Raymond
(Shaiton)