#246: fedora.css sets a universal scaling factor of 76%, which is much too small

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 19 21:58:07 UTC 2014

Replying to [comment:15 adamwill]:
> "DEs invariably do nothing WRT density"

> This is not true. GNOME/GTK+ are doing OS X-style resolution doubling stuff
now. If the density is close enough to 192dpi you get doubled everything...

If it actually works as I think it does, I don't get why Gnome took the same
granular approach to compensation as the web browser spec. DPI as a virtually
infinitely adjustable zoom knob has worked well here for a decade. It just
doesn't have an easy to modulate via GUI control mechanism that I'm aware of.
Applying it is a cut and try process editing an optional config file.

> "Again I lost all my work."

> It sounds like you should probably try composing things in a text editor
and copy/pasting them into your browser...

The ease of an auto-preview textarea is a tough lure to avoid. The problem
doesn't occur in any of the many bug trackers I use that run on Mozilla's
tracking software, or most of the forums I frequent. The problem I ran into
here is a typical result of JS links trying to create popups running up
against a popups verboten setting in Gecko, resulting in the popup content
usurping content of the current tab, and destroying back history in the
process. Bad bad bad bad bad bad bad:
http://www.usabilitysciences.com/from-the-usability-lab-front-back-me-up

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/