fedora.next, ideas for the websites

Robert Mayr robyduck at fedoraproject.org
Sat Jan 25 20:12:58 UTC 2014

2014-01-25 Sijis Aviles <sijis at fedoraproject.org>:
> Hey,
>
> This is great to bring his up now and as early as possible.
>
> I'll try to be brief and concise.
>
> I do like the 3 column layout, like piano keys. Each key would be for
> one product (base, workstation, server, etc) and have quick links for
> download and iso size. Clicking on the key would go their respective
> page/section with details and different supported plaforms and the
> like (maybe fp.o/<product>/.

Yes that was also my thought, just remember we have 960px, so about
300px per column, not so much.
I like the idea, and also the fp.o/product (we can use different
colors per site then, at least on the header).

> I do think we should drop the /using/ section and have fedoramagazine
> or planet (filtered by tags) to fill that space.

I want to be provocative here: is fedmag ready to handle this?
I'm not positive about planet feeds, the content would not be controllable.

> The 'features and screenshot' sections should be moved into more
> specific product pages, as it would no longer apply to all products.

Yeah, that would be nice, we could elaborat an idea and pass this to
marketing for the content.

> The areas community, help and contributors should be left alone but
> obviously cleaned up.

They should remain as they are now.

> On the tech side, maybe we should use bootstrap? It has a similar
> concept an 960 and it looks like it has some nice features we can use
> to keep our dev quicker.

Hah, that would be a huge task, rewriting it all. Do we have manpower
to do so? I never used bootstrap but it looks nice.
On the other hand, if we can improve fp.o pages we should work on them
now, unless we want to work on them twice (now and when merging in the
future to something else like bootstrap).
I think we can do this if we work only on fp.o. I still don't get if
we will ship spins as separate images, in that case we could
concentrate the work on fp.o and shut down definitely spins.fp.o. If
we are going to ship some of them as before, we should integrate them
in fp.o and abandone spins.fp.o in any case.

> Thoughts?

Yes, thank you for your ideas ;)
As I said, it's the best to get all the ideas we have, and slowly move
forward while we are getting updates from the WG groups.

--
Robert Mayr
(robyduck)