What kinds of downloads should we list on a generic / other downloads page?

Robert Mayr robyduck at fedoraproject.org
Thu Sep 17 13:22:26 UTC 2015

> Hi folks,
>
> So this idea came up in the netinstall download info thread [1], although
> I have been thinking offhand for a while it might be a good idea for other
> reasons (eg enabling testers to find the test images more easily - every
> time I need to find a test image I can never find it. :) )
>
> I'd like to mock something up so we can visualize what this would look
> like and if it would work, but I'm not 100% sure all of the downloadtypes
> we'd want on there. I think the primary things listed on the site should be
> those that are not featured on the main websites - they are not editions,
> spins, or labs (although we can link out to those sites.)
>
> To be able to mock this up though, I need to figure out what downloads
> should be featured on the site, and we should probably talk about their
> relative merits / use cases. Here is a (perhaps not exhaustive) list of
> things we could list on this page:
>
> - Netinstall ISOs (so these are built for specific editions, but this is
> the one exception to featuring things not normally featured I think would
> be a good idea)
>
> - the minimal fedora image (it doesn't seem to have a home now?)
>
> - docker containers
>
> - Bittorrent torrent files (could just be a link to refer to torrent.fpo)
>
> - Alternative architecture downloads
>
>   - Digging out dl.fpo / download.fpo / alt.fpo I found x86, aarch64,
> ppc64, ppc64le, s390x, and s390 images.
>
> - boot.fpo images
>
> - testing images
>   - nightlies
>   - alpha / beta / tc / rc images
>
> - archival images (could just point to archive.fpo)
>
> - the everything DVD that lets you choose a desktop in syslinux that we
> hand out at conferences (does this still exist?)
>
> Am I forgetting anything?
>
> ~m
>

> [1]
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/websites/2015-September/013169.html

Yeah I'm quite fine with all of them, maybe we can also add the Multi-DVD
image [1], which is not available elsewhere and we could also add the
respins [2] of the actual edition images, as they are not official images
but people spend a lot of time to make them adding the latest packages and
avoiding so the 500-600MB update you need to do when downloading for
example the F22 workstation image now (there are direct downloads and
torrent files too).

[1] http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/releases/22/Multi/
[2] http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/live-respins/

--