two different wikis, one URL

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Mar 5 18:01:42 UTC 2010

So we have two different styles of wiki under one space, which is
fine.  Talking with Toshio today, I found myself reiterating a sort-of
unnofficial policy. Wondering if this makes sense, and can we start
doing more to make it clear.

There are two audiences for our wiki:

A - Contributors and participants, who use the wiki for process
    documentation, drafts, policies, etc.

B - End-users, who use the wiki to learn how to do something in
    Fedora.  This category also includes the people who write how-to
    pages.

We have never formally embraced the second group, and I think we can
and should.

There has been a loose, unofficial policy around all this for a while.
After Toshio brought up the challenge of when people use Talk: pages
for the first category, thereby splitting up the discussion, it seems
to make sense to make the policy a little more formal.  Here is a
first stab:

== Contributor-focused pages (A) ==

* Pages are draft until the page owning sub-project agrees it is not a
  draft, then the draft header is removed.

  - This means the actual page is used for drafting, including inline
    comments, instead of using the Talk: pages.  Inline comments are
    removed as part of the no-longer-a-draft actions.

* Discussions of page content happen wherever the sub-project has all
  its other discussions - mailing list, IRC, etc.

  - Using Talk: pages here should be deprecated.

* These pages need an owner, best a group, who are responsible for
  making sure to answer questions about it, update it, etc.  There
  should be a badge on the page that identifies the owner, which links
  to a sub-section on the owner sub-project main page that explains
  how they deal with questions about their wiki pages.

== End-user-focused pages (B) ==

* These pages should build on Wikipedia practices as much as possible.

  - Refer to those practices in the "how to use our wiki for
    documenting end-user content", which could be part of
    [[Help:Editing]].

  - Have the [[Help:Editing]] page address this form of content, too.

* Encourage people in #fedora, users@, etc. to write and use these
  pages.

* Discussions about the page content happen in the [discussion]
  (Talk:) page.  This is from the Wikipedia idea that each page is an
  individual information node, and all discussion about that node
  happens in the node.

* These pages are moved from draft to real using categores:
  * [[Category:Draft documentation]]
  * [[Category:Documentation]]
  * [[Category:How to]]
  * [[Category:Topic documentation]] (e.g. Apache, SELinux, etc.)
  * Others to be created

* People who want to work on end-user content need only look in the
  draft category for what needs help.

== what next ==

* Badges for pages that link to the main owner sub-project or another
  page that says what to do with pure content pages.

* One page write-up that says what to do when you find a page that you
  want to comment, file a bug, or ask questions about.

* Warn sub-projects they need to own their pages with a badge.

* Template for sub-project pages that explains what they do about
  their wiki pages.