[Fedora-xen] Re: fedora-xen-ia64 integration, step 1

Aron Griffis aron at hp.com
Fri Jun 2 20:54:30 UTC 2006

Juan Quintela wrote:  [Fri Jun 02 2006, 12:53:02PM EDT]
> > Here is the current xen-mkbuildtree-pre in xen-unstable:
> > http://xenbits.xensource.com/xen-unstable.hg?f=a2d784a51f25;file=linux-2.6-xen-sparse/arch/ia64/xen-mkbuildtree-pre
> >
> > Instead of running it only on ia64, we can run it on all
> > architectures.  Since the recent patches, the last remaining files
> > created by that script are:
> >
> >     include/asm-ia64/xen/asm-xsi-offsets.h
> >     drivers/xen/core/xenia64_init.c
>
> Noooooooooooo, the sparse tree braindamage again :(
>
> xen-sparse tree is already brain-damaged enough for now, I think
> that addind this kind of "improvements" will make it completelly
> uncromprensible.

I agree that it's an ugly hack.  But please consider two things:

1. If you look at the revision history for xen-mkbuildtree-pre (at the
   link I posted above) you'll see that it's down from 12 files to
   2 in the past month.  We're working hard on getting rid of it
   completely.

2. The two files that are left have zero chance of confusing your
   patching process.  One is regenerated on every build
   (asm-xsi-offsets.h).  The other is planning to be moved soon.

> If you already have a different repository, why don't you _just_ put
> that files into the right place in the 1st place?

Now I'm the one that's confused!  :-(

I don't have a different repository.  I have a temporary
xen-ia64-unstable tree ported to 2.6.17-rc5-git6 (at the moment) so
I could generate linux-2.6-xen.patch.  The repository I have
personally is only for the purpose of prototyping this effort.

At this point I'm working on going from prototyping to integration,
which means that instead of using my temporary tree, we'll use the
xen-unstable tree that you have already ported.  xen-unstable and
xen-ia64-unstable were synced just a couple days ago so it should work
well on ia64.

Thanks for looking at the changes.  I'll work on eradicating
xen-mkbuildtree-pre, but it will probably take a few days at least.

Aron