[Fedora-xen] [Xen-devel] [TestDay] xen 4.4 FC3 xl create error

M A Young m.a.young at durham.ac.uk
Tue Feb 4 18:41:51 UTC 2014

On Tue, 4 Feb 2014, Ian Campbell wrote:

> On Tue, 2014-02-04 at 08:26 -0700, Eric Houby wrote:
>> Xen list,
>>
>> I have a clean F20 install with the RC3 RPMs and see an error when
>> starting a VM.  A similar issue was seen with the RC2 RPMs.
>
> Thanks for the report.
>
>> [root at xen ~]# xl create f20.xl
>> Parsing config from f20.xl
>> libxl: error: libxl_create.c:1054:domcreate_launch_dm: unable to add
>> disk devices
>> libxl: error: libxl_dm.c:1467:kill_device_model: unable to find device
>> model pid in /local/domain/2/image/device-model-pid
>> libxl: error: libxl.c:1425:libxl__destroy_domid:
>> libxl__destroy_device_model failed for 2
>> libxl: error: libxl_device.c:780:libxl__initiate_device_remove: unable
>> to get my domid
>> libxl: error: libxl.c:1461:devices_destroy_cb: libxl__devices_destroy
>> failed for 2
>> [root at xen ~]#
>> [root at xen ~]# /usr/bin/xenstore-write "/local/domain/0/domid" 0
>> [root at xen ~]#
>> [root at xen ~]# xl create f20.xl
>> Parsing config from f20.xl
>> [root at xen ~]#
>> [root at xen ~]#
>> [root at xen ~]# xl list
>> Name                                        ID   Mem VCPUs	State	Time(s)
>> Domain-0                                     0  2047     2     r-----
>> 19.7
>> f20                                          3  4095     1     r-----
>> 4.1
>>

>> After running the xenstore-write command VMs start up without issue.
>
> This is a bug in the Fedora versions of the initscripts (or I suppose
> these days they are systemd unit files or whatever). The sysvinit
> scripts shipped with Xen itself have this write in already.

I am puzzled by this as the systemd files in the Fedora RC3 test build do
indeed run
/usr/bin/xenstore-write "/local/domain/0/domid" 0
so I am not sure why it isn't being set in this case. It certainly works
for me.

> We should probably consider taking some unit files into the xen tree, if
> someone wants to submit a set?

I can submit a set, which start services individually rather than a
unified xencommons style start file. I didn't find a good way to reproduce
the xendomains script, so I ended running an edited version of the
sysvinit script with a systemd wrapper file.

Would it make sense to have some sort of configure option tools to choose
between sysvinit and systemd?

 	Michael Young