[Fedora-xen] Xen 4.4 RC2 [TestDay]

M A Young m.a.young at durham.ac.uk
Mon Jan 20 23:18:23 UTC 2014

On Mon, 20 Jan 2014, Eric Houby wrote:

> The first issue I hit was:
>
> [root at astar ~]# xl create mars.xl
> Parsing config from mars.xl
> libxl: error: libxl_create.c:1034:domcreate_launch_dm: unable to add
> disk devices
> libxl: error: libxl_dm.c:1467:kill_device_model: unable to find device
> model pid in /local/domain/1/image/device-model-pid
> libxl: error: libxl.c:1425:libxl__destroy_domid:
> libxl__destroy_device_model failed for 1
> libxl: error: libxl_device.c:780:libxl__initiate_device_remove: unable
> to get my domid
> libxl: error: libxl.c:1461:devices_destroy_cb: libxl__devices_destroy
> failed for 1
>
> After some discussion about the xencommons init script and ExecStartPost
> in xenstored.service, it was determined that manually
> running /usr/bin/xenstore-write "/local/domain/0/domid" 0 would fix the
> issue.

Was xenstored.service enabled? That should have set up the environment
correctly.

> [root at astar ~]# xl create mars.xl
> Parsing config from mars.xl
> libxl: error: libxl_dm.c:1371:device_model_spawn_outcome: domain 6
> device model: spawn failed (rc=-3)
> libxl: error: libxl_create.c:1166:domcreate_devmodel_started: device
> model did not start: -3
> libxl: error: libxl_dm.c:1475:kill_device_model: Device Model already
> exited
>
> My qemu-dm-mars log file contained one line, Option xen-domid not
> supported for this target.  This error led those helping to question
> about my qemu version and whether or not it supported xen.

One of the experiments I was intending to do with that build was to see if
xen would would work with Fedora's qemu. As you have just discovered the
answer is no, though the tools configuration option allowing you tell xen
where to find it seems to work. If you uninstall the qemu-system-x86
package or add the line
device_model_version="qemu-xen-traditional"
to your configuration file then your hvm guest should boot.

 	Michael Young