More space on the Xfce spin

Ron Leach ronleach at tesco.net
Thu Jan 27 09:59:27 UTC 2011

Christoph Wickert wrote:
> I don't think we should add Filezilla. IIRC we had gftp and removed it
> because the same FTP can be done with Thunar and gigilo, too. Now that
> Thunar was ported to gvfs it runs way smoother and supports more
> protocols such as SFTP. I really think we want to showcase the new
> Thunar version in Fedora 15.

Agree we should showcase Thunar, no question.  Not a Thunar expert, at
all, but wasn't sure it could be switched to working through an SSH
tunnel, whereas Filezilla can be - FZ can be set to proxy through an
arbitrary port on localhost.  Can Thunar be set up to do that, too,
perhaps in the new version?

> I agree a graphical download manager would be nice, but both firefox and
> midiro have their download managers. The problem with gwget is that is
> pretty much dead, no release for years and no bugfixes or even response
> from the developer in GNOME bugzilla. I have quite a long list of gwget
> bugs.

Ok, sounds good.

> IIRC GSTM (gnome-ssh-tunnel-manager) is not in Fedora. I did package it
> some time ago and might submit it for review.

We're only using F14 repo and RPMfusionF14 repo, so maybe we just
found the file in an earlier release archive and did some kind of
direct install.  On our systems (both FC13, and FC14, on different
netbooks), gpk tells us we are running

gstm-1.2-11.fc12

We do find that the graphical manager helps; SSH's command line syntax
seems to easily trip us up with its variations of tunnel schemes and
port addresses and destination address, and forwards, etc.

Just a quick comment on Thunderbird.  We've had to stop using it.  It
just seems impossible to set up the current version to use secure IMAP
on a local network.  Its 'new' auto-setup scheme keeps trying to reach
a POP ISP-type of system.  We're using Claws now on FC14.

Christoph, whatever you decide from all the suggestions you get will
be good (the existing spins are pretty good in my view given the CD
limitation) - my wish is only to let you know what we as a user find
that we need and, more importantly, why.  (Our work is mostly
offsite.)  Hopefully, with everyone's suggestions and ideas, the spin
will represent a good compromise.

regards, Ron