Panel layout in Xfce 4.8 (was Re: Goal: Make XFCE rock in Fedora)

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Fri Mar 11 07:55:01 UTC 2011

Greetings from another Gnome 3 refugee...

On 03/09/2011 01:04 AM, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 08.03.2011, 21:00 +0100 schrieb Martin Sourada:
>> On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 19:43:34 +0100
>> Christoph Wickert wrote:

>>>        * mixer
>> Don't we have volume control (pulseaudio) in systemtray already?
>
> this is gnome-sound-applet and we want to get rid of it for several
> reasons:
>        * it lacks the icon (bug 678696)
>        * it's GTK+3 and we don't have a fitting theme
>        * it's not supposed to be in the spin, in the latest nightly it's
>          no longer their because dependencies on the GNOME side have
>          changed.

Hah. I thought I'd found /one/ thing in XFCE (I'm very much an
xfce-newbie, only been using it for a week now) that's absolutely
dreadful - the volume control - and was thinking okay time to dig up the
source and fix the damn thing... but turns out it comes from the big G.

Fiddling with the real xfce-mixer-plugin also kinda revealed the reason
I found the new gnome-sound-applet so dreadful: you're supposed to use
the mouse scroll-wheel to adjust volume while hovering on the
applet/plugin. What if you don't HAVE a scroll-wheel, like on many
laptops? Sure you can then open the entire mixer... but that feels like
quite a step backwards from being able to just click on the loudspeaker
icon and then adjust the slider right there (which is the way it worked
forever in Gnome, until they managed to make a mess of it in G3). Am I
the only one finding this an issue?

FWIW, I'm willing to volunteer to even writing a damn new mixer plugin
if what's exists isn't sufficient for whatever reason. Seeing where
Gnome appears to be headed, I've a feeling I'm about to turn from a
refugee to a permanent XFCE resident and at that point it's easy to
justify a little bit of extra investment in ones own future :)

	- Panu -