Panel layout in Xfce 4.8 (was Re: Goal: Make XFCE rock in Fedora)

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Mar 14 18:36:42 UTC 2011

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 10:11:07 +0100
Martin Sourada <martin.sourada at gmail.com> wrote:

...snip...

For whatever it's worth, I think I prefer your "B" outline.
However, I don't feel super strongly about it. :)

> 1. single panel layout, containing all the widgets we agreed upon as
>    must have, designed from ground for best usability, proposal for
> that is Layout A on [1]
> 2. two panel layout, containing all the widgets we agreed upon,
>    designed from ground for best usability, proposal for that is
> Layout B on [1]
> 3. Adopt the former Gnome 2 default two panel layout.

I would say B is the best bet here, although some folks might call it
too busy. ;(

> I think we all agree though, that the current XFCE default layout is
> suboptimal.

I suppose. The main reason I don't feel so strongly about it is that
the first thing I do when I do a fresh install is setup the pannels
the way I want them to be. Granted some people won't do that, but I
think the initial state is best to target:

a) live users who want to look at Xfce and see what it can do

and

b) People who hate to customize (think labs and such).

Anyhow, of the above, I like B the best.

:)

kevin