Using live-CD to fix LILO boot

Ron Leach ronleach at tesco.net
Fri Sep 2 14:12:20 UTC 2011

Good afternoon,

Though I use XFCE on my netbook - and very pleased with that, by the
way - I have been trying to also use the LiveCD to help me fix a LILO
and RAID configuration on a desktop system.

I couldn't see how to access the main filesystems (which are XFS) on
the desktop's SATA drives; they weren't mounted automatically by the
LiveCD, and I don't seem to be able to edit /etc/fstab, so I'm a bit
at sea, here.  The 'places' commands only shows the LiveCD filesystem,
not the SATA drives.

(Skip this because this is NOT my question, but the context is this: I
think I know what's wrong with the LILO config.  The RAID system used
to work with /sdb and /sdc but then a separate non-raid disc failed
yesterday.  Removing it resulted in the RAID system wanting to use its
existing drives as /sda and /sdb instead.  I did re-configure the RAID
/md partitions to do this, and they re-synced ok, and the system was
working fine.  But on restart this morning, LILO doesn't recognise the
'VFS' and I 'think' it's because LILO is still looking at /sdb and
/sdc.  So I want to inspect the LILO config, and change it as necessary.)

Could somebody put me right?  Putting the XFCE LiveCD into the desk
and rebooting, what should I then do for it to see the existing XFS
partitions and mount a filesystem (even if only for inspection, that
would be a help so I can do some checks)?

(I'm not expecting detailed RAID advice here - I'll happily ask on the
RAID list if I need that - I just want to 'see' the existing drives
and files using the LiveCD I already have.)

Very grateful for any pointers,

regards, Ron