Themes / Spin

Raphael Groner raphgro at web.de
Mon Jul 16 13:10:46 UTC 2012

Hi there,

I am reading a lot about feature requests here that belong only to a
"default theme".

IMHO, a spin should deliver the most useful applications of a special
matter, in our case Xfce. It's a great feature to have the availability
of so many different themes.

As Christoph and others have stated already and a lot of times, the
space on a CD image is limited. It has to be taken a decision what
features, therefore applications and other data, are important to show
as a demonstration case.

Everyone is free to install the spin to another media (hard drive, usb
stick, etc.) and customize it to its specific user needs, for instance
install more themes and play with them around.

There's also the possibility to create an own spin. I have never tried
that howto [0], maybe there's some special tweaking additionally needed?
It would be a good idea to start with a working spin definition like for
the Xfce spin it exits.

Well, the main question is: Is it worth to create an (officially
supported) extra spin [1], only for another *default* theme or at least
a nicer wall paper?! For personal usage, no question at all.

Just my 5 ct.

- Raphael

[0] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_and_use_a_Live_CD
[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Spins_Process