Adwaita Theme

Sergio secipolla at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 11:27:46 UTC 2012

> The problem is that we have to create our own visual identity. In the past this has been the Nodoka style by Martin, but it has not been ported to GTK3, yet. I like Adwaita in general, it has just some ugly bugs and a maintainer that is not willed to fix them (even worse, not even willed to reply to requests). The sad thing is that this seems to be an illness of theme designers (except Martin, of course ;): see http://comments.deviantart.com/1/203936861/2765363086 or http://jpfleury.indefero.net/p/clearlooks-phenix/issues/54/
>
> Greets
> Marcus

For Fedora to have a custom theme someone must create and maintain it.
Also Adwaita is a GNOME theme, not Fedora's.

Fedora has already its custom wallpaper. If we have a theme that works,
isn't it good enough?

Also before, Xfce and other GTK based environments could rely on GNOME
for some things as they would support inter-operability. But lately one
gets the impression that they would just want their own OS, closed if
possible.
The GTK3 themes break with every release and since I haven't dived much
into the issue if I was creating a spin I would stay away from Adwaita
if only because they can make even a theme mess with other environments
that ain't GNOME.
I'm not saying it's the case now or that the Fedora Xfce spin shouldn't
use it, it's just that that could happen in face of how things have been
going.

Anyway, it's all speculation and by working and fixing what needs fixing
one knows where to go. That's why I would just use what works.

I would even replace the GNOME icon theme for something else that
supports Xfce better if upstream don't add the icons Xfce need. Then we
would face the fact that Fedora is set to use Adwaita and whatever it's
bind to like its cursor theme and icon theme as if it was the default
when it's made to be the default only for GNOME.

But I won't examine this much because I can't install F18 and the
live-CDs struggle to run in my weak PC. I'm just pointing that we should
keep it simple and if other people don't want to cooperate then just
make sure Xfce can be properly supported in Fedora or better make sure
that any X environment (like a stand-alone window manager) can be
properly set up without things made to work only with GNOME interfering.