Download manager

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at gmail.com
Wed May 29 20:18:18 UTC 2013

Am Mittwoch, den 29.05.2013, 15:18 +0200 schrieb Raphael Groner:
> I would like to see a download
> manager included in the live image, especially Xfce. There are several
> dl managers available on the base of Gtk.
>
> - gwget
> ** already packaged but upstream is dead(?), patches available

Where? What for?

Frankly speaking I am considering to orphan gwget. It's dead for years.

> - flareGet
> ** not (yet) packaged in Fedora
> ** ships browser integration: firefox, chrome, chromium, opera etc.
> ** also available for win_ows (so people may feel at home :P )
> ** semi-commercial license model, may be difficult for Fedora
> http://flareget.com/features

I cannot find the code anywhere. What license is it?

> - MultiGet
> ** not (yet) packaged in Fedora
> ** also available for win_ows (so people may feel at home :P )
> ** multiple mirrors for one download possible
> ** wxWidgets for the GUI, so it means another unwanted dependency
> ** Does anyone know what concrete license it has? I can't find it.
> http://multiget.sourceforge.net/

It's packaged but orphaned as it is dead upstream.
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/multiget

> - uGet
> ** already packaged and actively maintained
> ** similiar to gwget and multiget, but even more feature-rich
> ** optional support for Aria2, instead of direct curl usage
> ** browser integration could be easily done via incl. clipboard monitor

Looks nice IHMO it's too overblown for Xfce.

> I would prefer uGet cause it seems to need the lowest effort to
> integrate it to live image.

I would suggest steadyflow.  It's lean slick interface fits Xfce better
I think.  It's is a little bigger than uget (768k compared to 560k) but
this mainly due to the translations - and I consider proper localization
important.

However I am not sure if we need a download manager anyway.  We already
ship a webbrowser with download manager.  This should do for most
people, I don't want to duplicate functionality.  For each task, we
should have one program in the default install.

Just my 2ยข.

Best regards,
Christoph