where do you report problems with Live FC 22 Xfce?

ToddAndMargo ToddAndMargo at zoho.com
Tue Jul 7 21:18:25 UTC 2015

On 07/07/2015 06:03 AM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jul 2015 01:27:30 -0700
> ToddAndMargo <ToddAndMargo at zoho.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Frank,
>>
>> I wanted to report an Xfce problem with the spin.
>> And the guy who does that reads this mailing list and I
>> did report it to him.
>
> Are you refering to me?
> (There are several folks involved in making the spin)
>
> Could you describe your problem in more detail?
>
> "the way it installs things to a flash drive such that it won't boot up
> afterwards."
>
> Is this transfering the image to a usb, then it doesn't boot?
> Or this is after you have booted the usb and installed and are trying
> to install to a flash drive, and that install doesn't boot?
> Or something else?
>
> kevin

Hi Kevin,

Yes, it was you I spoke of.  We had a great dialog.
I was pleased with the outcome.  I complained, you
listened.

Getting the thing to boot in certain computers is
an absolute pain in the neck.  Specifically,
those from Supermicro, but there are others.

I finally gave up and made a direct install stick.
That did not work with FC22 Xfce's spin either.
Wouldn't boot for its life.

So I switched to the (really weird) FC22 gnome spin
and that worked perfectly.  I then group installed
Xfce and it has been fine since.  It boots
everything that will boot a USB.

FC21's Xfce live did not have this problem, either
on Live USB or direct install.

Basically FC22 Xfce is only good for creating Live
DVD's.

Never had a problem boot any of the above off HP's
el-cheap-o computers, which puzzled me greatly.

A lot of the issues are that FC22 Live sets up
grub.cfg to device by its direct dev (/dev/sda)
instead of by its UUID.  Gnome does UUID.
The sdx floats all over the place, depending
on what computer you install it into.

But switching to UUID only solved some issues.

Right now, it is not a big issue for me.  I did
the direct install to an old fashioned partitions
and can use the stick as a flash drive as well
as a boot stick.  I am tickled to death with it
and use it about three time a week on customer
sites.  I have it cherried out to my needs.

-T