Is there an http(s) server on the live spin?

Ron Leach ronleach at tesco.net
Tue Jun 9 18:23:37 UTC 2015

On 09/06/2015 19:00, ToddAndMargo wrote:
> On 06/09/2015 05:26 AM, Ron Leach wrote:
>>
>> Is an http server included on the current spin? If so, can it also
>> provide https service, even if using a temporary self-signed
>> certificate?
>>
> You could always do a direct install to a USB stick and
> do a dnf (yum) to install the http server. That way,
> it won't be volatile, like a live DVD.

Todd, that's interesting.  I don't quite follow.

What do you mean by a 'direct install' to a USB stick?  Do you mean
install Fedora, but onto a USB stick instead of onto a hard drive
/dev/sda1 or whatever?  And then, presumably, boot from USB as needed.

Would such an 'installation' then also run on a completely different
laptop, with different network card, graphics, etc?

I wondered whether you meant put the iso on a USB stick and use that
instead of a DVD but still run the USB stick as a 'live' sort of
system.  In this latter case, then the stick could be run in a variety
of laptops/desktops, in the same way that a live CD can be run,
because it loads the appropriate drivers etc for whatever hardware it
finds.

If you meant a full install but onto a USB stick instead of onto a
hard drive, then I guess installing an http server onto that USB
installation is just like installing it onto a normal hard drive, and
once installed it's always there (of course).

It's certainly a thought.  Thanks.

Ron