[Zarafa] Fedora is shipping the Zarafa Open Source Collaboration

Robert Scheck robert at fedoraproject.org
Sun Feb 28 15:14:01 UTC 2010

Hello everybody,

good things come to those who wait. It took about 12 months now, but I've
reached my personal goal: Getting the Zarafa Open Source Collaboration into
Fedora. Zarafa is a complete Open Source groupware suite that can be used
as a drop-in Microsoft Exchange replacement for webbased mail, calendaring,
collaboration and tasks. The features include IMAP/POP3 and iCal/CalDAV
capabilities, native mobile phone support, the ability to integrate with
existing Linux mail servers, a full set of programming interfaces, and a
comfortable look and feel using modern Ajax technologies.

It was a very hard long technical and legal way and that's why I would like
to say "Thank you!" to all of you: Zarafa Netherlands (Milo Oostergo, Brian
Joseph, Steve Hardy, Cies Breijs, John van der Kamp, Robin van den
Kerkhoff), Zarafa Germany (Helmuth Neuberger, Andreas Roesler, Mathias
Kuemmerle, Hans-Peter Stradinger), Red Hat, Inc. (Pamela Chestek, Richard
Fontana), Fedora Project (Tom Callaway, Jeroen van Meeuwen), Till Jaeger
(Zarafa's Lawyer) and Imar van Erven Dorens (unfortunately no longer works
at Zarafa Netherlands). As I'm pretty sure, that I've forgotten somebody, a
"Thank you!" as well to all the other people who supported me, too...

Zarafa is not available in the traditional Fedora DVD image, however it is
available in the regular Fedora and EPEL repositories. You can install
Zarafa after installation using the command line or the package manager of
your choice.

To install Zarafa (in a simple setup) using the command line, execute the
following as root:

  yum install zarafa zarafa-webaccess mysql-server httpd

Please note, that for Red Hat Enterprise Linux and derivates like CentOS,
the repository Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux (EPEL) has to be enabled
before: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/FAQ#howtouse

For some more information about Zarafa at Fedora and ways of communication
between Zarafa users, administrators and developers at Fedora, please have
a look to the Fedora wiki page: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Zarafa

And the Zarafa Open Source Collaboration has been accepted by the Fedora
Engineering Steering Committee (FESCo) as a feature for the upcoming Fedora
13 Release: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/13/FeatureList

Fedora - Freedom, Friends, Features, First!

Greetings,
  Robert
--
Fedora Project * Fedora Ambassador * Fedora Mentor * Fedora Packager