From Saturday 2th to Sunday 3th of April, the French Fedora community was represented by the Borsalinux-FR association ( https://www.borsalinux-fr.org/ ) at the 23rd edition of "les Journées du Logiciel Libre" (Free Software Days in French) in Lyon, France. More informations at https://jdll.org/ (only in french).
The event main theme was "Concrete and accessible utopias".
There were fewer Linux distributions and associations than in the past (CoViD): April, YunoHost, Illyse, Framasoft, ALDIL, Wikimédia France, Polymny studio, HADOLY, Picasoft, 42l, Tracim, ritimo, Attac, Globenet et CLIC!, Monnaie libre Ğ1, Parti Pirate, CEMÉA, Solidaires, Ancestris, Scenari, XWiki / CryptPad, Les SCOP du numérique, Probesys, BÉPO/Ergodis, Linux et la Musique, Zeste de Savoir, Skeptikon, Haiku, Borsalinux-fr / Fedora, Linux&Populus, Box86 / Box64, Dictionnaire des francophones, LOV Laboratoire Ouvert Villeurbannais, LesFousDuCode, LaboLyon (hackerspace Lyonnais), CoLibre, Chantier Libre, Oma-Radio, Jabber-FR...
In a few numbers :
- just over 700 visitors;
- 61 conferences;
- 16 workshops;
- 42 stands;
- 17 activities for children.
Behind the Fedora / Borsalinux-fr booth:
* Nicolas BERREHOUC aka Nicosss;
On Saturday and Sunday we talked with many people.
Various questions and comments:
- people who want to quit Windows OS;
- developers and system administrators who install Fedora to have up-to-date tools;
- encouraging feedback about the ability to play from Fedora Linux without rebooting under Windows OS;
- people learned that, unlike other distributions, Fedora was destined to have only free software;
- explanations were provided regarding the Red Hat link and the IBM acquisition;
- explanations were provided regarding what is a GNU/Linux distribution and free software;
- thanks from Fedora users for the work done and the quality/stability of the distribution;
- thanks from french speaking Fedora users about the Fedora-fr website ( https://www.fedora-fr.org/ ) and the documentation work in french;
- why we didn’t have recent goodies with the new Fedora Linux logo for the event;
- no Live-USB boot media created this year.
The Cheat Cubes modified by nobrakal is very appreciated by the visitors https://nobrakal.fedorapeople.org/cheat_cubes_fr/. By the way, while looking to update them I found a recent fork https://pagure.io/fork/weblatebot/fedora-cheat-cubes (thanks for the job).
Thanks to Casper for being here despite the distance of the trip to assist me.
It was also an opportunity to say hello IRL to number80 from Lyon and many others from fedora and jabberfr chatrooms (jabberfr.org xmpp server).
Gaia was this year on a robotics booth but still uses Fedora Linux for its Arduino.
GNOME community was not present this year but I don't know why.
Some media of this year’s event and past editions are available at the link
https://jdll.org/presse-et-media and soon the videos of the 2022 conferences on peertube https://www.videos-libr.es/c/jdll/videos .
Thanks everyone and see you next year in the same place!