I am opening up this thread to discuss event badges-- I think it would be
helpful to brainstorm and finalize some standards/regulations regarding
event badges with the input from leadership, design, and development side.
I will do my best to list all the different thoughts/issues that have been
raised. Please feel free to jump in with other points and/or correct if I
don't have the latest info.
- 1 event badge per event (non Fedora, or Fedora)
- 3 event badges per Flock
- party attendee
- 1 event badge per Fudcon
- in the past we have also had speaker/organizer badges
*Common issues we encounter:*
- People pointing to older badges and asking why we don't make them any more
- I actually haven't seen this as much lately, but have in the past
- People not knowing what or where to find a policy regarding event badges.
People pose potential badges, and we have to turn them down.
- From creation/pushing to site aspect, not getting enough notice that an
event badge is needed, or it gets lost in a sea of update emails (best to
request an event badge at least 1-1.5 months in advance, so we can see &
address at a badges meeting (held bi-weekly unless something comes up)).
Then there is time for gathering of resources (logos), creation of artwork,
and pushing to site.
- We have old speaker/organizer badges. Do we want to remove those and
replace them with the new contributor badges? Would this be too big an
effort for the outcome?
- Fedora meet up badge - IMHO, if we created this it should just be one
badge overall that is used for multiple events? Or yearly, so "you attended
a fedora meet up in 2018" I think this is a great idea for people who are
unable to make it to some of the larger conferences, giving them a chance
to earn event badges. On the other side, those privileged to go to the
larger badges will most likely earn these as well.
- Non-Fedora badges - this idea made by Bex on issue 642. I would be
interested to hear more about what this would entail and how to implement.
- Why did we move from speaker/organizer badges to contributor badges? Who
made this decision and why?
- A note here is that I am fine with this policy, I am just curious how
this decision came about, and why it wasn't really finalized "officially"
and discussed with the badges team as a whole. I think it was announced on
a badge issue, and we then had to adapt.
That is all I have for now. I think it would be great if we had input on
these thoughts, and any others, from all the people who makes badges happen