I was thinking about future of Mock and I would like to share my thought with you:
* This year will be EOLed RHEL5. Despite that I would like to keep RHEL5 configs for maybe an additional year. I.e.
support RHEL5 as build target.
* On the other hand - I'm thinking about ending support for RHEL6 as host platform. I.e. no longer build new mock
version for RHEL6. But still have RHEL6 config, so users can build their SRPM for RHEL6. This will allow me to get rid
of some compatibility workarounds and use --new-chroot everywhere (as RHEL6 does not have systemd-nspawn).
* Make --new-chroot default. Did you tested it? Do you have cases when it does not work? Please report it. I plan to
keep --old-chroot option for some time (definitely for this year).
* Check gpg signatures in rawhide. See https://pagure.io/releng/issue/6600
I welcome any comments.
See the full release notes for new version at the bottom of this email.
I would like to highlight few things here.
I had systemd-nspawn as default. But it broke 4 regression tests and I
was unable to fix them on time. I wanted to do the release before F26
branching so people will get F26 configs on time. So I reverted this
change and this version still use old chroot() as default.
I will switch it on again in devel branch. So next version will use
systemd-nspawn for sure. However I think backward compatibility cannot
be possible for some commands (e.g. `shell`).
So next version will have bumped up major version. It will not be
released for EL6 (as that does not have systemd at all). And some
behaviour may change. If you have some tool or script on top of mock you
are encouraged to test development versions from:
You may expect next version in April/May.
I will create new branch 1.3.x for EL6. But since no one raised voice in
January, I really do not expect any new versions for EL6 in future.
There are new features:
* [scm plugin](Plugin-Scm) now supports
[DistGit](https://github.com/release-engineering/dist-git/) (or DistSVN
* log files of [package_state plugin](Plugin-PackageState) got `.log`
extension. I.e. `available_pkgs.log` and `installed_pkgs.log`.
* Configuration files for Fedora 26 has been added.
* Configuration files for Fedora 23 has been removed.
* Even rawhide configs now use best=1.
* when Mock is run directly without consolehelper it now return exit code 2.
* You can pass additional arguments to systemd-nspawn using this config
option: `config_opts['nspawn_args'] = `.
* kojipkgs urls now use https instead of http.
* new plugin [hw_info](Plugin-HwInfo) which prints HW information of
builder. This plugin is enabled by default.
There are some bugfixes:
* reflect change of "Rawhide" to "rawhide" in /etc/os-release
* in site-defaults.cfg is more examples of how to set up PS1
* preserve mode of files when doing chroot_scan
* shell in systemd-nspawn is run as PID 2
this is not done in EL7 version of systemd-nspawn does not support it
* debuginfo repos has been renamed so `mock --dnf-cmd debuginfo-install
PACKAGE` works now
* next version will have systemd-nspawn as default. This can break your
scripts built on top of Mock. You can try the new behaviour using
* next version will not be released for EL6. You are advised to upgrade
Miroslav Suchy, RHCA
Red Hat, Senior Software Engineer, #brno, #devexp, #fedora-buildsys