== Summary ==
The /usr/bin/gpg path representing the main GPG implementation will
now use GnuPG 2 instead of GnuPG 1.
== Owner ==
* Name: [[User:ignatenkobrain|Igor Gnatenko]], [[User:till|Till
Maas]], [[User:ngompa|Neal Gompa]]
* Email: ignatenkobrain(a)fedoraproject.org, opensource(a)till.name,
== Detailed Description ==
For long time, GnuPG 2 is de-facto standard and it is unfortunate to
have /usr/bin/gpg to point to GnuPG 1 given that all major
repositories already have it that way.
Some of them don't even have GnuPG 1 shipped (RHEL is one example).
== Benefit to Fedora ==
This change will bring Fedora in line with other major distributions,
users will get consistent experience between distributions and the
naive expectation that "gpg" binary is the latest and greatest
implementation of GnuPG.
== Scope ==
* Proposal owners:
** Rename gnupg package to gnupg1
** Rename gpg binary to gpg1
** Rename gpg2 binary to gpg
** Create gpg2 → gpg symlink
** Check and fix if needed existing packages which require /usr/bin/gpg
* Other developers: Everything can be handled by change owners.
* Release engineering: [https://pagure.io/releng/issue/7920
* Policies and guidelines: No changes are needed.
* Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
== Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
Users will have to adapt to change that gpg is now called gpg1 if
their usage is not compatible with both 1.x and 2.x.
== How To Test ==
Before change is implemented, owners will prepare COPR repository. You
will need to enable it and update and ensure that your
applications/scripts still work.
== User Experience ==
* /usr/bin/gpg is pointing to latest release of GnuPG 2 which makes
consistent user experience between distributions
== Dependencies ==
What can't be adopted to this change will be patched to use gpg1
explicitly, no action is needed from any developers.
== Contingency Plan ==
* Contingency mechanism: Owners will revert changes and postpone
change to next release.
* Contingency deadline: Beta Freeze.
* Blocks release? No
* Blocks product? No
== Documentation ==
Both gpg1 and gpg2 have their own documentation shipped with them.
Fedora Program Manager