== Summary ==
Enhance the (rpm-)ostree stack to natively support OCI/Docker
containers as a transport and delivery mechanism for operating system
This is the basis of
== Owner ==
* Name: [[User:walters| Colin Walters]]
* Email: walters(a)verbum.org
== Detailed Description ==
Having the Fedora ecosystem (from users to release engineering)
maintain tooling that operates on all three of "container images",
RPMs, and OSTree updates is a maintenance burden.
This proposes that:
* The ostree stack is enhanced to support
encapsulating/unencapsulating ostree commits as OCI/Docker images
* rpm-ostree is updated to consume this, while still supporting all
its current features (e.g. per-machine package layering) (DONE)
* We ship e.g. `quay.io/fedora/coreos:stable` and
* We support '''deriving''' new user custom images from these
* We enhance this tooling to
For more details, please see:
CoreOS layering enhancement]
rpm-ostree container docs]
Note that significant effort has been invested in ensuring
compatibility between what exists in ostree today and OCI/Docker
container image "encapsulation". For example, we will continue to
reuse the GPG signature infrastructure on OSTree commits that exists
today - the ostree tooling knows how to verify the signature *inside*
the container image. In the future, we will also likely invest in
== Benefit to Fedora ==
* Stronger focus on Docker/OCI as transport for operating system and
* New ability to easily create derived operating system images "server side"
* More benefit from e.g. work on container deltas
== Scope ==
* Proposal owners: Lots of detailed items listed in the rpm-ostree/CoreOS docs.
* Other developers: The "other" here is vague, but certainly
developing this so far has needed cooperation with e.g. the
containers/ organization etc.
* Release engineering: https://pagure.io/releng/issue/10399
* Policies and guidelines: N/A (not needed for this Change)
* Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
* Alignment with Objectives: No
== Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
Each individual edition/spin would need to choose when and how to make
a cutover to containers as a transport. The Fedora OSTree repository
would continue to be maintained until that is finished.
== How To Test ==
See the examples under https://coreos.github.io/rpm-ostree/container/
== User Experience ==
Users of rpm-ostree systems will primarily interact with container images.
== Dependencies ==
== Contingency Plan ==
* Contingency mechanism: Continue to ship updates via baseline OSTree
<!-- REQUIRED FOR SYSTEM WIDE CHANGES -->
* Blocks release? No
== Documentation ==
Already linked above to avoid duplicating it here.
He / Him / His
Fedora Program Manager