== Summary ==
cyrus-sasl package was built with libdb requirement, now it is replaced by gdbm.
== Owner ==
* Name: [[User:Dbelyavs| Dmitry Belyavskiy]]
* Email: dbelyavs(a)redhat.com
== Detailed Description ==
This change switches the default backend Key-Value DB used by sasldb
plugin from BerkeleyDB to GDBM and provides a migration tool for
automatic conversion from old to new format.
== Benefit to Fedora ==
According to more restrictive libdb licence policy exists effort to
remove libdb's dependencies.
cyrus-sasl package can now be built without libdb requirement.
== Scope ==
* Proposal owners:
* Other developers: The owners of the packages depending on cyrus-sasl
sasldb plugin should provide the documentation about the migration
* Release engineering: [https://pagure.io/releng/issue/10084
* Policies and guidelines: not needed for this Change
* Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
* Alignment with Objectives:
== Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
The migration script should be used to upgrade the particular
databases used by specific applications via sasldb plugin
== How To Test ==
* Install the new version of the cyrus-sasl.
* Use the migration tool bdb2current provided by the package to
migrate your sasldb file
* update the configuration file to point on the new sasldb file
* restart the application if necessary
* Check that auth is still working
== User Experience ==
== Dependencies ==
A lot of application use cyrus-sasl sasldb plugins. Their maintainers
were notified via email and some of them have responded.
== Contingency Plan ==
* Contingency mechanism: Revert the shipped configuration
* Contingency deadline: Beta freeze
* Blocks release? Yes
== Documentation ==
Here is the notification sent to known developers of the depending packages:
New version of the cyrus-sasl is planned to use the gdbm database for
the sasldb plugins.
I've implemented the patch
changing the default DB and implementing the migration tool to make
the switching from BerkeleyDB to GDBM seamless.
I kindly ask you to check the information in the following spreadsheet:
whether your package is affected by the proposed change
whether the migration tool is suitable for your purposes
and let me know or mark the results in the table
== Release Notes ==
a new version of the cyrus-sasl package is landing in rawhide.
This version changes the database used to store saslauthdb data. This
is part of the move to deprecate use of Berkley DB. The new package
will use GDBM instead.
We provided a tool to perform migrations for database should that be
needed by a package:
The syntax of the migration tool is
bdb2current <sasldb path> <new_path>
Please check whether your packages use the sasldb plugin and provide a
relevant migration guideline.
He / Him / His
Senior Program Manager, Fedora & CentOS Stream