== Summary ==
Rename `libusb` to `libusb-compat` and `libusbx` to `libusb1`. Do
'''not''' provide an automated update path for the old `libusb`
dependency as packages should–and likely can–be updated to use
== Owner ==
* Name: [[User:benzea|Benjamin Berg]]
* Email: bberg(a)redhat.com
== Detailed Description ==
Currently we have two related packages:
* libusb: Containing a compatibility layer of the 0.1 API for libusb 1.0
* libusbx: Containing the libusb 1.0 API, where the name "libusbx"
derives from a fork that existed for a while
To make it clear that "libusb" should not be used anymore and as
"libusbx" does not exist anymore, it makes sense to rename the
packages as follows:
In order to ensure that no package is depending on the old `libusb`
(i.e. `libusb-compat`) without a good reason, the plan is to
add the corresponding `Provides:` line for the `libusb-compat-devel`
== Benefit to Fedora ==
* We adhere more closely to the upstream naming scheme for libusb.
* We begin sunsetting `libusb-compat` (i.e. current `libusb`).
== Scope ==
* Proposal owners:
Create new `libusb-compat` and `libusb1` packages based on the current ones.
* Other developers:
Review any package that uses `BuildRequires: libusb-devel`. Many of
them will be able to switch to `libusb1-devel` but some may still
require the compatibility layer, i.e. `libusb-compat-devel`.
* Release engineering: N/A
* Policies and guidelines: N/A (not needed for this change)
* Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
* Alignment with Objectives: N/A
== Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
No impact is expected.
== How To Test ==
No further testing is needed.
== User Experience ==
== Dependencies ==
== Contingency Plan ==
Add `Provides: libusb-devel` to `libusb-compat-devel` if too many
packages are not updated.
* Contingency mechanism: (What to do? Who will do it?) N/A (not a
System Wide Change)
* Contingency deadline: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
* Blocks release? N/A (not a System Wide Change)
== Documentation ==
N/A (not a System Wide Change)
He / Him / His
Senior Program Manager, Fedora & CentOS Stream