== Benefit to Fedora ==
The distinction between our project and our output is important, because as a project and a community we are more than the bits we produce — and, we produce more things (including software bits!) from that included in the Fedora Linux distribution.
We make EPEL, ELN, and thousands of packages in Copr. These are all part of Fedora — but aren't Fedora Linux. We also make artwork, music, documentation, videos, websites, tools, and more. These things too are part of our project, but aren't part of the Fedora Linux distribution. The habit of calling just one thing we make "Fedora" makes it hard to talk about the project and all of the things we do within our [https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/project/#_our_mission
Of course, years of colloquial usage can't be changed overnight, but changing the place where we officially identify the operating system name is an important start. Rather than a big education campaign, let's fix our own usage and go from there.
== Scope ==
* Proposal owners: Will submit a PR for the <tt>fedora-release</tt> package.
* Other developers: Should be no impact, but may need to update any scripts using <TT>NAME</TT> instead of <TT>ID</TT>.
* Release engineering: To review and accept the PR when ready.
* Policies and guidelines: This change itself does not represent a change to policies, but it's good to consider where usage can be changed in existing documents.
* Trademark approval: Not required. Note that this has been cleared by Fedora Legal.
* Alignment with Objectives: No specific objective but aligns with a Council goal.
== Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
Updated systems will get the new <tt>/etc/os-release</tt> file and will see changes in the text-mode login prompt and in places like "OS Name" in the About panel in GNOME.
== How To Test ==
1. Update to test version of Fedora 35
2. Observe name change in <tt>/etc/os-release</tt>
3. Optionally, observe name change in GNOME Settings, text-mode login screens, neofetch, etc.
It would also be useful to test any third-party software which may mistakenly look at <tt>NAME</tt> instead of <tt>ID</tt>.
== User Experience ==
Users will see the distribution referred to as "Fedora Linux" rather than just "Fedora".
== Dependencies ==
== Contingency Plan ==
* Contingency mechanism: Change owner or release engineering will revert the change to <tt>fedora-release</tt>
* Contingency deadline: Decision should be made at beta, but in the unlikely event of disaster this could be reverted right up until the last minute.
* Blocks release? No.
== Documentation ==
Fedora is made of people! When used by itself, the term "Fedora" refers to the Fedora Project. When referring to our work, please use either a specific name like <i>Fedora Workstation</i>, <i>Fedora CoreOS</i>, or <i>Fedora KDE Plasma Desktop</i>; or use <i>Fedora Linux</i> to refer to the OS distribution as a whole.
== Release Notes ==
Note: Fedora is made of people! When used by itself, the term "Fedora" refers to the Fedora Project. When referring to our work, please use either a specific name like <i>Fedora Workstation</i>, <i>Fedora CoreOS</i>, or <i>Fedora KDE Plasma Desktop</i>; or use <i>Fedora Linux</i> to refer to the OS distribution as a whole.