camlp4 is (was) a grammar extension/macro package for OCaml. It was
replaced upstream by PPX extensions a while back, but quite a few
packages still used camlp4.
Since we updated OCaml to 4.08 there has been no work on upgrading
camlp4 to work with the new version. I asked about it upstream but
didn't get a positive response:
The only packages I care about which use camlp4 is ocaml-gettext, and
I recently ported that to use PPX instead:
Other packages in Fedora 31 which depend on ocaml-camlp4 or
ocaml-camlp4-devel will no longer build, and I will eventually either
orphan them or (if upstream has replaced camlp4) update them.
*** Affected packages ***
cduce (Modern XML-oriented functional language)
guestfs-browser (Guest filesystem browser)
- This was basically a demo that I wrote years ago.
ocaml-bin-prot (Read and write OCaml values in a type-safe binary protocol)
- There is a new PPX version of this project, but it would need to be
packaged by someone who is interested in it.
ocaml-bisect (OCaml code coverage tool)
- Since this was written a long time ago, OCaml now generates DWARF
and profiling information in standard formats, so use ordinary
ocaml-bitstring (OCaml library for matching and constructing bitstrings)
- There is a new project upstream which ports this to PPX but it
would probably need to be added as a fresh package.
ocaml-camlp4 (Pre-Processor-Pretty-Printer for OCaml)
ocaml-deriving (Extension to OCaml for deriving functions from types)
- There is a new project upstream which ports this to PPX. If you
want this, please package the new project.
ocaml-json-static (OCaml JSON validator and converter (syntax extension))
ocaml-json-wheel (OCaml library for parsing JSON)
- These libraries are both obsolete. There are other newer projects
for parsing and creating JSON strings from OCaml.
ocaml-mikmatch (OCaml extension for pattern matching with regexps)
- Also obsolete; there are newer libraries upstream.
ocaml-lablgl (GL bindings)
- Dead upstream since 2013.
ocaml-openin (OCaml syntax to locally open modules)
ocaml-pa-monad (OCaml syntax extension for monads)
- Both obsolete syntax extensions, now part of the core language.
ocaml-pgocaml (OCaml library for type-safe access to PostgreSQL databases)
- There is a new PPX port of this package. Someone could package this
ocaml-pxp (XML parser)
- As far as I can tell this hasn't been ported to either PPX or
ocaml-sexplib (OCaml library for converting OCaml values to S-expressions)
ocaml-type-conv (OCaml base library for type conversion)
- Both versions we are packaging are obsolete. There are PPX
versions upstream which someone can package.
ocamldsort (Dependency sorter for OCaml source files)
- Obsolete, use built-in tool ocamldep.
Richard Jones, Virtualization Group, Red Hat http://people.redhat.com/~rjones
Read my programming and virtualization blog: http://rwmj.wordpress.com
virt-builder quickly builds VMs from scratch