> Idea #1: Do not block on optical media issues for Alpha and Beta
My concern here is that if we don't make it a blocker for at least beta
but do for final, it's setting us up for a scramble at final time.
I understand the concern. However, is that really different from other Final-only criteria
we already have, like Windows/macOS dual-boot (often broken due to grub/uefi), or
"every tiniest app has to work" (surprises lurking everywhere)? Also, delaying
Beta or delaying Final might end up as the same delay overall.
I think there are two things combined. The first one is blocking status. I'd like to
have blocking status set exactly for that milestone which we believe it should block (and
not an earlier one, just in case). The second thing is detection. We should be able to
detect these issues early in the process, but we often don't, and we can talk about
improvements here. I usually strive to avoid the situation where we test a Final test case
for the first time only after Beta release (or with Final RC1). That's too late. If
nothing blocks it, we should be able to test those e.g. with Alpha images. We don't
have a good process designed there, and the missed test cases often come down to a lack of
time, but if we improve that, I believe that would address your concern, right?
> Idea #2: Do not block on optical media issues for Final release for
> certain flavors/image types (Server, netinst)
+1 to this one. But is there likely to be a case where it fails on just
those? I guess this primarily reduces what you need to _test_. So,
As Adam described, we had cases where only certain type of images were affected, due to
compose misconfiguration. So it's possible (even though not that likely nor frequent).
That's why I'm interested more in tweaking guarantees that Fedora as a project
claims to have ("image XYZ must be bootable from DVD or USB"), rather than test
coverage optimization (that's internal to QA team, we can discuss that in our test
We can of course decide here that we want to keep our "must boot from optical
media" guarantee for all iso images we produce, but reduce the testing to just one
image from each type (Live, DVD, netinst). But that makes me feel somewhat uneasy, similar
to what Adam said. That's why I'm mainly interested in talking about criteria
Since you're +1 here, do you have any opinion which release flavors/image types should
be exempt from optical boot guarantee/criteria, and for which we should keep it? You have
far a better overall idea of the project than I do.