On 7/7/21 2:14 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
* Hans de Goede:
> On 7/7/21 1:08 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> * Neal Gompa:
>>> Wait, why don't we have guile 3.0?
>> We have a mandate from Fesco that the core toolchain must depend on
>> Guile. Naturally that makes updates rather difficult.
> So I've gone and checked the Fesco issue where dropping guile
> support from make + gdb was discussed:
> And I must say that I find the argumentation for rejecting the
> change very very weak. I would really expect Fesco to make better
> motivated decisions then this one.
> I'm especially shocked about how Fesco is in essence mandating
> a group of maintainers to spend time maintaining a feature
> where they clearly have indicated they don't want to maintain
> that feature.
I guess this is partly on us (on the toolchain side). We missed the
Yes that was less then ideal OTOH since there was no majority to
either reject or accept it would have been better IMHO for Fesco
to simply postpone the decision and explicitly invite you for the
> My being shocked here is not so much about the guile issue,
> but about a IMHO much bigger issue underlying this decision:
> Since when does Fesco get to mandate on which features our
> volunteer maintainers get to spend there time ?
Most of us Fedora toolchain maintainers aren't volunteers in the actual
sense of the word, so we shouldn't play the volunteer card (and Fesco
probably knew this too). I know that several members of the Red Hat
Platform Tools team (who maintain the toolchain downstream) have Fedora
work as goals or key responsibilities.
Right, I knew that already, but IMHO that only makes this Fesco
decision worse, if you were true volunteers you could choose to simply
walk away (which even for volunteers is not an easy decission, but it
is a real option) where as now you are stuck between a rock and a
hard place, which I see as worse then the pure volunteer situation.
I think it is great how you are simply taking this in stride,
if I were in your shoes I would certainly be very unhappy about this.
Anyways Neal and Miro have indicated that they would be happy to
revisit this for Fedora 35, so I think the best way forward here is
to resubmit the change for Fedora 35, you can still do this until